Spring has arrived! For some of us this is great news and for the rest of us, this may mean seasonal allergies.
Hay fever occurs when your immune system overreacts to an outdoor allergen, such as pollen. The most common culprits are pollen from wind-pollinated plants, such as trees, grasses, flowers and weeds. The pollen from insect-pollinated plants are too heavy to remain airborne for long, and they’re less likely to trigger an allergic reaction.
Common symptoms include:
– runny or stuffy nose
– watery and itchy eyes
– itchy sinuses, throat, or ear canals
– ear congestion
– postnasal drainage
Less common symptoms include:
– shortness of breath
Treatment strategies for allergies:
– Stay indoors when the pollen release is the worst.
– Rinse your sinuses with saline or use a Neti pot.
– Quercetin/ Vitamin C in large doses.
– Use local honey and local bee pollen as they can help desensitize.
– Desensitize with oral medical pollen serums.
If you suffer from seasonal allergies, we can help! Call us at Kelowna Naturopathic Clinic for an appointment to have your allergies tested and treated.